Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Am I suddenly interested in Assassin's Creed 2?

In 2007, I was super excited for Ubisoft's medieval stealth killing adventure game, Assassin's Creed. I bought the thing hoping for an experience beyond reproach, what I got was a slightly disappointing bunch of repetitive missions wrapped up in a very nice looking package. Apart from being able to stab annoying beggars who ask you for money, the highlights of this game were few and far between for me.


A gold coin? Sure, I've got it here somewh-STAB!

That said, they've made a sequel. So why do I suddenly care? Well, apparently they've fixed a lot of the issues of the first game. Way more variety in the missions, side-missions, characters, weapons and general vibe of the game make this seem like what the first game should have been. Set in the Italian Renaissance in the 15th century, the player takes the role of Ezio, a dude who has trained his whole life to be a professional killing machine.

Like this, but with less gay.

I don't want to get ahead of myself here, but I'm very interested in what they've done. Apparently a young Leonardo Da Vinci helps you out with a few weapons so that's sounds pretty awesome to me. Regardless of all that, they're starting to put a rather large marketing effort before this game ahead of its November release. Take this first part of a short movie for instance. It's called Assassin's Creed: Lineage, it's been done by the studio who did visual effects for Sin City and for a internet-based prequel to a video game, it's pretty fucking amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment