Thursday, April 2, 2009

"Pipes are the arteries of this mighty erection!"


When I started playing video games, I started on a Commodore 64. For those of you who are not old enough to know what the hell that is, here let me paint you a collage of memories:



+




=




The games on it were fantastic. Skate Or Die, Summer Games, Combat School, Commando, Last Ninja and hundreds of others saw me through a piracy-based childhood (note: I didn't go out of my way to pirate games in the C64, that's just how games ended up in your hands back then). After this awesome machine and a 486 PC afterwards, I pretty much made the exclusive move to consoles (Megadrive, Playstation, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Xbox 360). 

Recently, nostalgia hit me like a ton of bricks. I dug out a Dell Inspiron laptop I bought in 2002 and have decided to revisit some of the classics. Starting with this:


That's me on the left, in the trenchcoat. I haven't figured out what to do with that big robot yet.


This is Beneath A Steel Sky. It's a point-and-click adventure from 1994. You play a dude named Robert who, along with his uppity robot Joey, has to escape from the oppressive Union City (which is apparently Sydney in the distant future) and return to your home. It's got more character in one sprite than most brand new games on the shelf right now and it's only 71 MB. 

So, exciting days ahead then. Since my little old laptop could run the shit out of any top shelf game in 2002, then these old classics will have no problem. That's all I plan to use it for and since there's TONS of them out there, I'll be busy.  

Now if only I can get my hands on these treasures:


Pictured above: Fucking awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Fuck California Games... Fuck it in the Goddamn Ass....

    If you were a real commodore 64 fan, you played Enigma Force, Pirates, Defender of the Crown, Impossible mission, Elite, Mercenary, Not to mention Farmer's Daughter ;-)

    I had heard "Beneath a Steel Sky" was really good....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuck California Games? I get it. While I was having fun with my C64, you were playing hoity-toity stuff like Elite etc, weren't you?

    Defender of the Crown sucked. Iron Lord ruled.

    Steel Sky is good.

    ReplyDelete